Hawaiian Coconutty Glutinous Rice Flour Dessert
Watch How To Make It:
I love Hawaii because Hawaiian food reminds me so much of Filipino food. We have many similarities in our cuisines, and butter mochi is one of those things that closely resemble various "kakanin" (rice-based desserts) from the Philippines.
Basically it's a sweet, chewy bar made with glutinous rice flour and coconut millk. It reminds me a lot of cassava cake, except it's made with glutinous rice flour instead of cassava!
This butter mochi recipe is VERY simple. Just throw everything in the bowl, mix it up, and stick it in the oven!
Feel free to flavor your butter mochi with extracts like ube or almond extract, OR you can substitute 1/3 of the flour in this recipe with cocoa powder to get chocolate butter mochi!
- 1 lb (16oz) glutinous rice flour or mochiko
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 can (12 oz) coconut cream or coconut milk
- 2 cups unsweetened grated coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Extra butter or oil, for greasing
1. In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine glutinous rice flour, sugar, and baking powder. Mix all these dry ingredients thoroughly.
2. In a separate bowl, crack open all eggs and beat lightly. Add the melted butter, vanilla extract, coconut cream/milk, and mix to combine.
3. Add the freshly grated coconut and mix well to fully integrate it into the batter.
4. Grease a 9x13 inch pan well, along the bottom and the sides to ensure your butter mochi doesn't stick after baking.
5. Pour the batter into the pan, and bake in a preheated 375ºF or 190ºC for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the butter mochi comes out clean.
Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes, then slice into squares and serve!
Butter mochi is DELICIOUS with ice cream!
DID YOU MAKE THIS?!
Post on social media and tag @jeanelleats! I get so happy when I see people making these recipes at home!
Join if food is your everything. Be the first to hear about the latest videos, events, and foodie exclusives!